Regular readers of this blog know that one of my all time favorite novels is 1984 by George Orwell. It was particularly fascinating to me back in the late ‘50s when I first read it and the direct parallel with today’s politics is equally seducing.
Of course, when I first encountered the book, it was for the pleasure of reading pure fiction. I did, however, at the time and oft thereafter question, “what if”. Over the decades, I have often seen comparisons to the work. Today the book reads more like an honest news account than most of the broadcast or printed reporting.
1. “Ignorance Is Strength.” Have you ever noticed how ignorant people have a great deal of strength in their convictions?” George Orwell.
Below are a few more quotes from Orwell’s works. I have included the parallels of today. If you cannot see the connection, or refuse to accept what is happening, perhaps the quote above aptly describes your intellect and information levels.
2. Anyone who challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising effectiveness. (George Orwell)
Have you been called a racist yet because your take on right and wrong varies from that of our current administration? If it is not Bush’s fault, then you simply cannot stand to have a man of color in the White House. Certainly, these can be the only reasons for not accepting the fundamental change of the nation promised by this president. Being called a racist is much like the accusing question, “Have you ever been caught cheating on your spouse yet”?
3. “Newspeak was the official language … The purpose of Newspeak was not only to provide a medium of expression for the world-view and mental habits … but to make all other modes of thought impossible. It was intended that when Newspeak had been adopted once and for all and Oldspeak forgotten, a heretical thought should be literally unthinkable.” George Orwell.
According to Janet Napolitano, there is no threat from radical Islam or Muslim terrorists there are only “man-caused disasters” into which we must send troops. She also expresses an equal or greater fear about our combat trained military and cautions law enforcement to be aware of patriotism displays such as flags, bumper stickers, tattoos, etc.
4. “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them:” George Orwell
Can you say Fast and Furious, Benghazi, NSA spying on virtually all Americans and many foreign leaders without warrant or reason, the IRS filtering availability of NPO status to almost all right leaning applicants thus limiting their fund raising ability in 2012. To Orwell, the nationalist is the defender of Obamacare, NSA domestic spying, IRS partisanship, Eric Holder and the Department of Selective Justice.
5. “Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” –George Orwell
“Barack knows that we are going to have to make sacrifices; we are going to have to change our conversation; we’re going to have to change our traditions, our history; we’re going to have to move into a different place as a nation.” Michelle Obama, May 14, 2008 San Juan, Puerto Rico An identical thought just different wording. What more need be said?
6. “During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.” – George Orwell
“I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes.” Barack Obama – Dover NH, Sept 12, 2008 Um, uh, yeah well there is that Obamacare thing that affects every American, even those on Medicare and Welfare.
“If you like your doctor, you’re going to be able to keep your doctor. If you like your plan, keep your plan.” Barack Obama March 19, 2010 That may even have been true before HHS, under his dictum, stepped in and made ridiculous demands on insurers to have 50 year-old males pay for birth control, maternity care and mammograms and 18 year-old girls paying for prostate cancer screenings.
“Our current best assessment, based on the information that we have at present, is that, in fact, what this began as, it was a spontaneous – not a premeditated – response to what had transpired in Cairo. In Cairo, as you know, a few hours earlier, there was a violent protest that was undertaken in reaction to this very offensive video that was disseminated. Susan Rice on “This Week.” Radical Muslims (non-extent in Janet Napolitano’s world) carrying rocket launchers in their back pockets got pissed because of a Youtube video. Yeah, right! It’s time for a revolutionary act.